Addlestone Town Trail
Dukes Court and Bank House

The Duke's Head, 1988
Houses on Duke's Head site, 2001
 
 

"The Duke's Head" was built following the enclosure of the Chertsey Beomonds manor which covered most of modern Addlestone. This pub was constructed at the new crossroads in 1815 by John Drewett, Inn keeper of Chertsey. It was probably named after the Duke of York, then a major local landowner resident at Oatlands Park.A single storey extension was formerly a billiard room opening onto a bowling green on which the establishment prided itself in the 1880's.For a long time The Duke's Head was the main residential hotel, with a clientele of "tradesmen and respectable working class" (according to Rawlings Directory). The pub is now demolished and replaced by apartments. In the latter part of the 20th Century it became the headquarters of the Chertsey and Addlestone Band. The adjacent bus stop is still referred to as "The Dukes Head Coach Stop"

"Bank House" was constructed opposite "The Duke's Head". It originally opened as The London County & Westminster Bank in the First World War (and previously at No.3 High Street). Both this and the current Citizens Advice Bureau (dating from 1954) in Church Road were built on the site of Kingthorpe, home of Mr. T. Weeding, JP, a local dignitary. Part of the original boundary wall can be seen in Kingthorpe Gardens to the rear of the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Next
Return to Interactive Map