Addlestone Town Trail
The High Street

Carpet shop on Tavener's site, 1988
Offices on Tavener's site, 2001
The Holly Tree, 1988
The Holly Tree, 2001
John Cree House
The former post office

"Glendinning House" is now on the site once occupied by Tavener's, also known as "The Bentalls of Addlestone". Demolished in December 1995. Developed from two cottages, the original shop was occupied by Fox, later Wyles. From 1921 to 1950 it became Taverners, a large draper's, and finally, in 1988,Brouder & Wilshire, a carpet and furniture shop.

Opposite, the dry cleaner's building hides an earlier post office while the row of small shops of 1870 on the west side were known as Devonshire Terrace.

A pub stood on the Holly Tree site as early as 1841

Opposite is the light cream brick fronted house (24-24A, High Street) built for his son by John Cree, who owned a nursery where the Bank House now stands. In 1829 Cree published a catalogue Hortus Addlestonensis, giving local gardening information. This site later became Kingthorpe: part of its boundary wall can be seen near the Citizens Advice Bureau in red brick.

Next
Return to Interactive Map