Village Homes gate
Only the street name and the iron gates recall on site this once extensive "refuge for daughters of convict mothers, girls from destitute families or otherwise in need of protection", set up in 1871, pioneering the family type of residential home. It later became an Approved School. It was named after Queen Mary's mother, the Duchess of Teck, whose portrait together with a turret clock and an iron arch from the gateway have been preserved in Chertsey. Note the fine gates, the posts of which were cast by Herring & Son of Chertsey.