Addlestone Town Trail
St. George's College and Mormon Church

St. George's College entrance
St. George's College
St. George's College lodge
Mormon church 1988
Mormon church 2001
 
St. George's College was opened here in 1884 by Roman Catholic Brothers of the Josephite order from a core of school buildings previously owned by Baron Petre about Woburn Park House. Some 61 boys moved over from the 1869 St. George's College, Croydon. Woburn, meaning "crooked stream", gave its name to the medieval family living on the estate and to the Bourne crossing Chertsey Meads. In 1735 Philip Southcote purchased the land and created an "ornamental farm" with grotto and follies, arches and gateways - some of them designed by William Kent, including the rusticated entrance seen from the main road (now not used as the present main entrance is off the roundabout). The adjacent Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) is on the site of the second St. Augustine's Church in Addlestone, known as the "Tin Church", built in 1891.

 

Next
Return to Interactive Map