Addlestone Town Trail
Simplemarsh Road

Keighley Cottage
The Waggon and Horses
 
 
 

The name of this road may come from Schimpe (small marsh) and Pul (pool), or may refer to where "simples" (medicinal herbs) were gathered. In the 1840s John Mitchell Kemble, Anglo-Saxon scholar and brother of actress Fanny Kemble, lived here Chapelfields. This name and that of streets to the north comes from land owned by a chapel of Chertsey Abbey. No. 47 (Keighley Cottage) looks like a church , and indeed was the Methodist centre from 1885-1897, when the present church was completed in Station Road. The Waggon and Horses pub was originally a corrugated iron shack of a beerhouse next to No.45; hence the nickname "The Tin House". Just south of the road can be seen Tipton Cottages, a row of back-to-backs c1840. No.39 with its crooked eaves and Gothic style, dates from 1886 (though its chimneys were reduced in 1981) - survivor of a popular villa style in Addlestone.

Next
Return to Interactive Map