Addlestone Town Trail
Wey Navigation

Wey Navigation
Level crossing 1988
Footbridge 2001
The Pelican
 
 
Beyond the former level crossing, now a footbridge, is the first true canal in England since Roman times, today lined with small craft. An Act of Parliament in 1651 approved the canal's course from Weybridge to Guildford (later extended south) and it opened to traffic in 1653, bypassing the River Wey's meander to the south. The Pelican may have originally been built to serve the bargees.

 

Next
Return to Interactive Map